One Crazy Christmas: The Gifts of the Wisemen
The Magi traveled to worship the King and had some major opposition before getting there. Herod was not happy to learn that they were headed that way. Despite this, they brought the best of what they had, gold, frankincense, and myrrh. But even more than these gifts were the givers. Behind each gift that we give is the heart that God desires. And that gift that we bring is the gift that God desires.
Small Group Questions
1. Read Matthew 2:1-12 and answer the following:What external factors promoted the Magi to search for Jesus? (2)What did the Magi acknowledge about Jesus? What titles did they give him? (2)How did Herod react to the Magi visiting Jesus? (3-4)How were the Magi led to Christ? (9-10)Why didn't the Magi report back to Herod as he had requested? (12)
2. What is the significance of the gifts brought to Jesus by the Magi?
3. What are some presents we might give Christ each day?
4. Break into two groups and think about these two verses:
2 Corinthians 9:6 & Romans 12:1-2. What do they have to do with the Magi and the gifts brought to Jesus?
5. Consider how we can continue to give God our best. What does that mean for you on a daily basis?