Jacob lives a life of deception until it all catches up with him. He comes to the end of himself. As a result, it is through wrestling with God that Jacob is given a new name and a new identity.
Like Jacob, God is asking us to press into the wrestle as we seek to leave the old self behind and be transformed into our new life in Christ. The question is, will we choose to press into the wrestle? #HillChurchMcminnville
Small-Group Discussion Questions:
- Can you think of a time when you have experienced a fight or flight moment that went bad? (Funny stories are welcome, too!)
- What are some generational patterns that were passed on to you? Have you experienced freedom from them or not? Share your story
- Have you ever wrestled with God? Are you wrestling with God right now? If so, in what way?
- How does the conjunction between fighting and surrendering either confuse you or help bring a deeper understanding?
- Why do you think that God injured Jacob in the wrestle? Have you ever experienced a wound from something you wrestled out with God?
- Can you think of a time when you have wrestled with something in life without God, and how that was different from wrestling with God?